March 10, 2008
Lambda Pi Alpha Sorority Scholarship
Lambda Pi Alpha Sorority is an African American Nursing Sorority that was founded in 1930 at McHarry Medical College School of Nursing, Nashville, Tennessee. The Beta Mu Chapter of Lambda Pi Alpha was organized in 1934 at Provident Hospital, Chicago, Illinois.
The sorority's primary goal is to raise the professional standards of nursing. They have accomplished this by establishing scholarships for nursing students, stimulating registered nurses to continue their education, and participating in community activities.
The sorority is awarding a scholarship in the amount of $1,500 to a deserving upper level undergraduate nursing student in a B.S.N. program. The sorority is interested in assisting African American students, U.S.A. citizens, toward completion of a course of study in professional nursing.
In order to qualify for the scholarship, the student must:
1) Submit an official school transcript showing a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
2) Submit a typed statement of reason or desire to receive this financial scholarship.
3) Submit three (3) letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a nusring faculty member.
4) Be an undergraduate student who has completed at least one semester of nursing coursework.
5) Successfully complete an interview with the scholarship committee.
The completed application form, which can be obtained from our secretary, Brenda Parham in the Department of Nursing, letters of recommendation, and transcripts should be mailed to:
Leretha R. Thomas
3912 West 76th Place
Chicago, IL 60652
The application deadline is April 30, 2008.
For more information please visit their website at http://www.lambdapialpha.org